Birthday parties are exciting milestones for children.
Spending the day with their family and friends, as well as eating cake, playing games, and opening gifts is something they look forward to all year long. We want to help you plan the perfect birthday party and so it is our pleasure to prepare for you this simple party checklist.
6-8 weeks before the party
- Set the date of the party
- Decide on the location and make venue reservations, if necessary
- Create the guest list (determine the size of the party)
- Set the party theme with your child
- Line up any entertainment you may want and ask about setup requirements
- Decide on the type of party (half day, full day, sleep-over, etc.)
4 to 5 weeks before the party
- Plan your menu
- Make a schedule of activities for the party. You will need to factor in time for entertainment, lunch & snacks, gift opening, and simply allowing kids time to run around.
- Plan more games than you expect to use in case you run out of activities before the party is over.
- Keep in mind that an outdoor party may become an indoor party in case of rain, so plan alternate activities, just in case.
3 to 4 weeks before the party
- Purchase and send your invitations (include RSVP and directions)
- Purchase the themed party favors (goodie bags) and game prizes
- Purchase the themed party supplies and decorations (craft essentials, posters, table cloths, plates, cups and napkins, party hats, balloons, noisemakers, blowouts (paper tubes that unroll when blown into), streamers, confetti, candles and matches)
- Purchase or download music, if necessary, and make a playlist
- Make sure you have a working sound system
- Make sure you have enough chairs and tables, factoring in adult seating space, as well
- Finalize your menu
2 weeks before the party
- Order cake from a bakery, if you are not baking your own
- Write out a final schedule of activities for the party
- Confirm reservations and make a final guest count
- Plan for additional adult chaperones, if necessary. This can be as simple as an older sibling, cousin, friend, aunt or uncle.
1 week before the party
- Buy and wrap your gift for the birthday star.
- Tell siblings to invite a special friend over for the day so they don't feel left out. They can join the party, play apart, or they can be helpers.
2-3 days before.
- Buy the remaining food for the party.
- Buy film and/or videotape.
- Check batteries for the camera and/or camcorder.
- Call the entertainer to confirm appearance and expectations.
- Call the party venue to confirm all details.
- Gift wrap any party favors, game prizes.
- Prepare loot bags/treat sacks for guests.
The day before the party
- Review the games/activities.
- Pick up the cake or bake it, if you are making your own.
- Purchase beverages/ice.
- Set up the tables, chairs, buffet table, etc.
- Child-proof the party area.
- Begin decorating (save outdoor decorating for the day of the party).
- Prepare the food that can be made ahead of time.
The big day!
- Finish any last decorations.
- Set out party supplies (tablecloths, cups, napkins, etc.)
- Pick up helium balloons or blow up your regular balloons today.
- Prepare foods and beverages that cannot be made ahead of time.
- Greet guests at the door with a smile.
- Take plenty of pictures and videos and have fun!
One week after
- Send thank you notes to your guests and helpers!
Speak with a Mad Scientist Today!